Wednesday 15 December 2010

My First week of Cataclysm

So cataclysm has been out for just over a week and in this time quite a few people have gotten to the new level cap. WoW Census has not been updated to cover levels above 80 yet but I am guessing most people with level 80 characters are either at or well on their way to 85.
In the first few days I stuck to my plan of just doing daily quest on my level 80s. Blizzard decided to reduce the XP received for killing mobs if you were above a certain level though;
Level 60+ only 10% XP for killing classic content mobs
Level 70+ only 10% XP for killing Outland mobs
Level 80+ only 10% XP for killing Northrend mobs

I haven’t been on my level 80s in the last few days, instead I have been spending time on making gold at low level using inscription. I wrote before about levelling inscription on Mazrigos EU because I couldn’t afford any glyphs. Well after two weeks and spending around an hour a day on this I have over 2k gold on my level 20 Paladin. I decided to try and see if this would work on a realm that was for ‘New Players’, and rolled a couple of characters on Magtheridon EU.

The economy on Magtheridon is crazy, some midnight ink glyphs are selling for 65-70+ gold each and the herbs are in the 1.1 – 1.5 gold range. In other words you can make over 100 gold by just selling a couple of glyphs. On the other hand other glyphs are selling for less than the value of the mats. It took me a little while to get started, I levelled a Troll Druid as my gatherer. In hindsight it would have been better to level my inscription character first with Herbalism as the other profession. My characters here are currently a level 16 Druid and a level 10 Hunter. At times it has been difficult to buy enough herbs to make even midnight ink. However last night I did get to 250 gold most of which I re-invested in a lot of low price herbs that had just appeared on the market, I also bought a couple of netherweave bags as on character storage was becoming difficult. I can make 56 different glyphs and have sold 21 glyphs so far, almost at level 150 inscription I will need to level my hunter again soon.

So not much love for my main realm, my Warlock is 5% away from level 81, but my Hunter on Hellfire EU has put on a few levels to level 57 and my Paladin on the same realm reached level 66. These will be the character hitting the new content at level 80.

Winter Veil starts today so I will be stepping up my Small Egg farming to make some quick and easy gold, if last year was anything to go by. Unfortunately I will miss the first 7 hours of the event but I am predicting small eggs will sell for 5-10 gold each. Just as well my holiday break starts tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment